This months (ok I’m about a week out) quilt block is constructed using 1 1/4 inch hexagon english paper pieces. The hexagons (or other shapes and sizes) are available from most craft shops and online.
You cut out enough fabric to wrap a minimum of 6mm around the hexagon and tack the fabric down with a contrasting thread. You then join the fabric hexagons with a small whip stitch (mine averages at 16 stitches per inch – impressive yes?). Once tacked together you can remove the contrasting tacking stitches. I’ve left them in until I sew together the other 12 x 12 inch patches in to a quilt.
I bought these shells and really wanted to have a go at encasing them in a bead bezel. It worked so well I stitched up the cuff for them. It fits perfectly with an inbuilt clasp. It still amazes me the potential that seed beads have. If you have the imagination and basic skills you are only limited by your imagination.
I forgot to post this earlier. Yes, I did manage to get this finished in time. I won’t be in a rush to make another anytime soon.
I whipped up a pair of funky hand dyed toddler shorts in size 2 using Kwik Sew 3079. The only real difference between this pattern and the previous shorts I sewed using pattern 3398 is the sizing. This pattern is for toddlers sizes 1 – 4, 3398 is for 4 – 10 year olds and has pockets. You could insert elastic in to the legs to make them in to bloomers.
Pattern took 2 fat quarters and 1.5 hours to make including copying of pattern to tracing paper.
After watching an episode of The Great British Sewing Bee about the Make-do-and-mend period of WW2, I decided to have a go at sewing a pair of play shorts using 2 x tea towels. That’s right. Tea towels and it worked. The only down side is that you generally have to pattern match which I didn’t do on my first go.
Took 2 hrs from start to finish including copying the pattern.
Kwik Sew 3398 Pattern
I had never sewn in a fly before. Turned out it wasn’t as tricky as I thought it would be.
The blue shorts are store bought and I used them to recreate the same type of waist band.
This month I went for something a little less time consuming, or so I thought. I’ve wanted to have a go at a Pineapple Block after getting inspiration from my extensive craft book collection.
It’s constructed using the foundation method. I might come back at a later date and amend the post to describe the construction method in detail. For now, I’m just going to say ‘Ah, it’s done’.
- Yep, that’s a crappy photo. I’ll retake tomorrow in better light.
I saw this pattern while trawling eBay. I snapped it up for a bargain price of $6 including shipping.
I love this pattern. The pinafore only has 3 pattern pieces and can be sewn together including cutting in 2-3 hours. It’s a pity I don’t have a little model to show it off.
The only challenging part was sewing on the buttons which are back to back to make the pinafore reversible. If anyone has any tips, pass them my way.
Ok, now back to the banner. *Le Sigh*
With a couple of birthdays coming up this month, I wanted to knock up a colourful birthday banner. Each rectangle measures 10 x 13 inches. Each one takes 40 minutes to do. Let me do a quick count… that’s 13 letters and then another small banner each for each person. It will be a miracle if I get it finished in time.
I made this cute cushion for the lounge after noticing my last remaining cushion was now a cream colour bordering on grey instead of it’s original crisp white.
I simply googled ‘cushion with zip tutorial’ and followed the first result to http://www.heytherehome.com/how-to-make-a-zippered-pillow-cover/ and it worked. It’s not how I’d normally make a cushion. I’m so used to invisible zips that I was stumped for a few seconds (3.5 seconds). After a few unpicks, it worked!
Oh, the cushion insert was a new, unused bed pillow. Just cut in half and sew the end shut. Et voila you have a cushion insert.
1.5hrs later. Finished size 45cm x 45cm