This month I went for something a little less time consuming, or so I thought. I’ve wanted to have a go at a Pineapple Block after getting inspiration from my extensive craft book collection.
It’s constructed using the foundation method. I might come back at a later date and amend the post to describe the construction method in detail. For now, I’m just going to say ‘Ah, it’s done’.
- Yep, that’s a crappy photo. I’ll retake tomorrow in better light.
I saw this pattern while trawling eBay. I snapped it up for a bargain price of $6 including shipping.
I love this pattern. The pinafore only has 3 pattern pieces and can be sewn together including cutting in 2-3 hours. It’s a pity I don’t have a little model to show it off.
The only challenging part was sewing on the buttons which are back to back to make the pinafore reversible. If anyone has any tips, pass them my way.
Ok, now back to the banner. *Le Sigh*
With a couple of birthdays coming up this month, I wanted to knock up a colourful birthday banner. Each rectangle measures 10 x 13 inches. Each one takes 40 minutes to do. Let me do a quick count… that’s 13 letters and then another small banner each for each person. It will be a miracle if I get it finished in time.
I made this cute cushion for the lounge after noticing my last remaining cushion was now a cream colour bordering on grey instead of it’s original crisp white.
I simply googled ‘cushion with zip tutorial’ and followed the first result to http://www.heytherehome.com/how-to-make-a-zippered-pillow-cover/ and it worked. It’s not how I’d normally make a cushion. I’m so used to invisible zips that I was stumped for a few seconds (3.5 seconds). After a few unpicks, it worked!
Oh, the cushion insert was a new, unused bed pillow. Just cut in half and sew the end shut. Et voila you have a cushion insert.
1.5hrs later. Finished size 45cm x 45cm
I designed my own block Victorian Tiles and I’m quite happy with how it turned out. I learnt a few lessons along the way.
Firstly, you need insane math skills. It actually took me longer to do the math than to do the sewing.
Secondly, fabric weight and colour really do matter. Although I’m happy with the end result I’ll take more time on the fabric selection for February.
Work in progress
I’ve always loved simple geometric sampler quilts so this year I’ve decided to do at least 1 x 12 inch block per month and I’ll be keeping this quilt for me.
I call this block ‘ Victorian Tiles’. I’ve always loved them on the verandahs of victorian houses.
I’ve come across the easiest crepe recipe.
1 cup 00 flour
1 cup milk
1 pinch salt
Combine all ingredients with a whisk. You can further water down the mix by adding about 1/4 cup of water. Cook 1/4 cup (about a soup ladle full) per crepe on a medium heated crepe or fry pan.
Serves approx 8
I was inspired based on the colours of the peyote stitched base. I was going to do a full peyote bracelet using a freeform geometric pattern but just was no longer feeling it if you know what I mean. It’s the chunkiest beaded item I’ve done in a while. I’d definitely call it a statement piece. I no longer wanted to see my semi-precious beads sitting on a shelf. They deserve to be seen.
With 2016 I promised myself I wouldn’t just roll through the days with the excuse that it’s too hard because the boys are too young. It’s time to get back out there and live a little and follow more of my dreams.
So to kick things off I signed up for a chalk paint class at a small shop, Shiner Old & New. I loved it. I now have the confidence to go ahead and splash a ridiculous amount of colour in my craftroom.
You can check out their facebook page Shiner Old & New here
It’s been a few years since I last posted anything to this site. I know no one looks here, that’s cool. I enjoy looking back at my hand made accomplishments.
For the past year I’ve rediscovered beading. In particular, seed beads, weaving and embroidery. I discovered a whole new world of beaders dedicated to the beautiful hues of Japanese seed beads. Just google Sherri Serafini or Heidi Kummli. I usually follow a pattern bought online from etsy.com or from a lark book. Love Lark publishers.
Cabs purchased from the Sydney Bead Show at Marrickville. Currently working on encasing them with Miyuki gold size 11 db-31′s.
Here is a taste of what I’ve made. It’s my design for both. The pendent was my first attempt at bead embroidery. Love it still.